How will we support your child when they are leaving this school or moving classes?
We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.
If your child is moving child to another school:
- We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
When moving classes in school:
Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance. Being a small school, all children are well-known by staff.
In Year 6:
- Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and staff from the new school will visit your child in this school
- Staff share information about your child’s needs as appropriate.
How will we support your child when they are joining us in the Early Years Foundation Stage?
Before your child joins us in our Early Years class, we aim to have a good understanding of his/her needs by liaising with pre-school settings and parents/ carers. If appropriate, we will attend any necessary 'Team Around the Child/ Family' meetings held at other settings prior to your child joining us, so we gain a better idea of your child's needs and interests, and so that we can help to plan a smooth transition into school.
We have regular 'staff swaps' with our local playgroup, so that members of our team get to know the children in their pre-school setting, and the Headteacher is on the committee of Avening Playgroup. We recognise that not all of our intake attend Avening Playgroup, so visits to other settings are arranged in the summer term, so that our staff can talk to practitioners in your child's setting. We also offer home visits, so that you have the opportunity to talk through any relevant information or express any concerns you may have about your child's first few days in school.
Prior to starting school in September, we offer a number of opportunities for you and your child to visit:
- Forest School Fledglings - held most Fridays, 2-3pm, on the School Garden for pre-school children and their parents/ carers
- Stay and Play - Friday mornings, 8.45-9am during term 6 for our new intake children and their parents/ carers
- Move Through mornings - three mornings in July for our new intake children